Saturday, January 7, 2012

Uncle Bubba's Shrimp and Grits

For those of you who don't know, Uncle Bubba's Oyster House is one if the most delicious places to eat in Savannah, Georgia. It's owned by none other than the fabulous Paula Deen's brother and my oh my if you like southern food just the tiniest bit - you will LOVE this place! I visited the restaurant about a year ago with my family and my in-laws and the only thing that I had on my mind was Shrimp and Grits. I figured if anyone's going to get this right - it's Uncle Bubba! And I was right!

Now normally I will post the ingredients and directions but to be perfectly honest I followed this recipe to the very last ingredient and it was amazing. I wouldn't change a single thing on it. So, I am posting the link to the recipe's website, but I will give you a few pointers for preparation.

http://www.unclebubbas.com/index.php/recipes/view/shrimp_and_grits/

Pointers:
First of all, prepare the shrimp gravy portion first. It is the most time consuming part of the recipe (as the grits will be ready in about 10 minutes from start to finish.)

Secondly, I chopped the bacon into 1/4 inch pieces and sauteed them for about 4-5 minutes, you don't want them totally cooked because you're going to keep adding ingredients and cooking for an additional 10 minutes or so. So leave the bacon somewhat translucent when you add in the onions. Then I cooked the onions and bacon together for about 3-4 minutes before adding the peppers in. When all of these items were in the pot I cooked them for approximately 5 minutes or so to let the flavors blend into each other before the next step.

Third, I added the raw shrimp and stirred the mixture together to coat the shrimp. While the shrimp are cooking add the flour and heavy cream a little at a time. You will find that the flour sticks to the bottom of the pan quite quickly if you add too much at a time so don't panic! Just add in some of the cream, scrape the bottom of the pan and keep mixing - it will turn out right just trust me.

Pictures:


No comments:

Post a Comment