Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Broccoli and Beef Stir Fry

Ok, so living in Germany makes me a little bummed from time to time because I miss the convenience of take out food - Chinese especially! I swear I've looked everywhere and I just can't seem to find anything comparable here so I'm left to make my own. This recipe was a delight to find, thank you Weight Watchers website for the link! (http://www.weightwatchers.com/food/rcp/RecipePage.aspx?recipeid=225421&sc=11) Never would I have thought that this is where I'd find a recipe for such a flavorful and simplistic meal. (Can you tell that broccoli is one of the few vegetables that I actually adore?! I swear I'd put it in every recipe if it worked lol.) It literally took me 20 minutes from start to finish and it's just as delicious as the pictures make it out to be. So, who's ready to stir fry???

Ingredients: 
2 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch, divided   
1/4 tsp table salt     
1 pound uncooked lean trimmed sirloin beef, thinly sliced against the grain   
2 tsp vegetable oil     
1 cup chicken broth, divided     
5 cups uncooked broccoli, florets (about a 12 oz bag or a large stalk)   
1 Tbsp ginger root, fresh, minced (optional)
2 cloves of minced garlic   
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4 cup soy sauce   
1/2 cup water   


Directions: (right from the Weight Watcher's website listed above) 
On a plate, combine 2 tablespoons cornstarch and salt; add beef and toss to coat.

Heat oil in a large nonstick wok or large deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add beef and stir-fry until lightly browned and cooked through, about 4 minutes; transfer to a bowl with a slotted spoon.

Add 1/2 cup broth to same pan; stir to loosen any bits on food on bottom of pan. Add broccoli; cover and cook, tossing occasionally and sprinkling with a tablespoon water if needed, until broccoli is almost crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Uncover pan and add ginger, garlic and red pepper flakes; stir-fry until fragrant, about 1 minute.

In a cup, stir together soy sauce, remaining 1/2 cup broth, remaining 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch and water until blended; stir into pan. Reduce heat to medium-low and bring to a simmer; simmer until slightly thickened, about 1 minute.

Return beef and accumulated juices to pan; toss to coat.

Pictures:
Serve it hot over some white rice and enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment