Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Chicken and Dumpling (Crock Pot) Soup

Yet again, I score another recipe from Pinterest! This time it's made in a crock pot. Now let me say I have never owned a crock pot or probably ever eaten anything made in one - they are truly foreign to me. Having said that it seems like the easiest thing to cook with because you are literally doing nothing - the crock pot is doing all the work - so I have a hard time considering this 'cooking'. However, it does yield something delicious at the end of the day and ok fine I didn't technically slave over it all day but I still put the ingredients in the pot right so that counts for something I think. Anyway, back to this recipe, so I love chicken and dumpling soup but just never feel like I have the energy to make this dish from scratch. (I know for a woman who doesn't work I seem to have no free time anymore, go figure.) So finding this recipe was intriguing and looked to be yummy so I went for it. And oh my goodness it was fantastic! Especially because you will have a few extra biscuits left over so you can bake them right up in the oven and serve them with the soup. It's savory and hot and simply fabulous on a cold winter day. I hope you love it as much as we did!!! Let's go...

Ingredients:
2 large chicken breasts - raw
2 cans of cream of chicken soup (I used 98% fat free but you don't have to)
1 can of chicken broth
1 onion - diced finely
1 can of Pillsbury Grands Flaky Layers biscuits

Directions:
It doesn't get any simpler than this. Combine all of the ingredients above (except for the biscuits) into a crock pot set on Low. After about 5 hours, pull the chicken out of the crock pot and shred with 2 forks. It will literally fall apart so I am using the term 'shred' lightly here. Place all of the chicken back into the crock pot and stir to coat. Then, take 4 of the biscuits and using a knife just chop them into about 9 pieces or so. As you can see in my picture, Zachary did not listen when I asked him to chop them into small pieces, I believe he cut them into 4's lol which you can do but you will get rather large 'dumplings'. Place the chopped biscuit pieces into the crock pot and let everything simmer for another 30-45 minutes. The dumplings will absorb that yummy soup flavor and puff up. It is so scrumptious I barely have words. Enjoy!!!

Pictures:

No comments:

Post a Comment