Monday, November 21, 2011

Jer's Caulifower Soup!

Let's just start with one word: YUM!
Ok so back in the day I used to hate vegetables...ok so some of them I still DO hate lol but I've come a long way so try not to judge me. Anyhoo, one vegetable that I have always loved is cauliflower. Perhaps because whenever my mom would make it for dinner it would be smothered in a delectable cheese sauce. If it wasn't in cheese then I normally wasn't interested; however, like I said, I've come a long way lol. So when my friend Jeremy posted on facebook this delightful meal I was basically craving it instantly. And you know what, it was just as magnificent as I had dreamed it would be! So thanks Jer!
I would also like to say that had I not been trying to 'watch my weight' due to the fact that I have overindulged for the past 8 weeks in the states, I would have absolutely baked a loaf of that dutch oven bread and devoured the two recipes together. They honestly would have been delightful - ok now I am bummed that I didn't make the bread lol. Whatever. Alright, lets cook...

Ingredients:

1 stick Butter (divided in half)
½ whole Onion (diced)
1 whole Carrot (diced) – optional, I didn’t use it but I HATE carrots J
1 stalk Celery (diced)
1 - 2 Whole Cauliflower Heads (roughly chopped)
2 Tablespoons Parsley (chopped) - optional
2 quarts Chicken Broth – but Jeremy used Vegetable Broth in his so whatever you’d perfer
4 Tablespoons All-purpose Flour
2 ½ cups Heavy Cream (divided in 2 cup and ½ cup)
Salt
Pepper
Garlic
Cayenne (pinch) - optional
Sour Cream

Directions:

In a large soup pot, melt 4 tablespoons butter. Add the onion and cook for until it starts to turn brown.
Add the carrots and celery and cook an additional couple of minutes.
Add cauliflower and parsley and stir to combine.
Cover and cook over very low heat for 15 minutes.
After 15 minutes, pour in vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and allow to simmer.
In a medium saucepan make a rue of 4 tablespoons melted butter, stir flour into melted butter until smooth.  Add 2 cups heavy cream and whisk to combine. Once the rue has thickened, add it to the simmering soup – then add ½ cup extra heavy cream. 
Add seasonings as desired
Allow to simmer for at least 15 minutes.
Before serving, place a dollop of sour cream in a serving bowl or soup tureen and then add the hot soup.

Pictures:

 Celery, Onions, and Cauliflower
 Pre-simmer...
Et Voila - Seriously add a slice of crusty bread and DEVOUR!
Sidenote - how is anyone supposed to cook when this is happening...

No comments:

Post a Comment