Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Cream of Broccoli Soup

Ok, so I have been trying to stockpile my yummy/piping hot meals for when the winter actually hits. I have this crazy feeling that once the snow starts falling I am going to just hibernate in my home and let Zach get the groceries and household supplies. I mean really, what could I possibly need out in a blizzard that I cant send Zach to pick up on his way home from work, right?! So, in an effort to 'be prepared' I've been researching different soups, stews, and casseroles that are both easy and healthy for that frigid weather. Lucky for me a few nights ago I stumbled upon this recipe on the DLife website. (And since you know I'm always interested in a diabetic-friendly meal I thought this sounded both delightful and healthy too.) I will tell you that you just have to make the Dutch Oven Bread to go with this soup - I swear it just makes it that much more amazing. Having said that, please note that you have to start the bread the night before...boo I know but it's worth that little extra bit of effort. Alright, enough stalling right? Let's cook...

Ingredients:

2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup fresh chopped onion
2 stalks of fresh broccoli
2 tbsp margarine
2 tbsp white all purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
2 pinch black pepper
1 cup fat free milk
1 pinch garlic powder
Directions: 

In a pan, melt 1 tbsp of the margarine and then add the chopped onion. The longer you cook your onions down the less crunchy they will be – I personally despise crunchy onions so I cook them down a good 5-8 minutes. Once the onions are cooked to your liking, add the chicken broth, broccoli, and garlic powder. Bring the mixture to a boil and reduce the heat. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until your vegetables are tender. (If you have a food processor, place half of the mixture in a blender or food processor, cover and blend 30 to 60 seconds or until smooth. Then repeat with remaining vegetable mixture and set aside.) If you do not have a food processor, or if you’d just prefer not to get another gadget out of your cupboards you can use a potato masher to smash the broccoli mixture right in the pan that you’ve cooked it in. (This is much easier and just as delicious).

In a separate saucepan, melt the remaining 2 tbsps of margarine. Stir in flour, salt, and pepper and let the mixture brown up lightly. Add the milk all at once, stirring rapidly with a wire whisk. Cook and stir until mixture is thickened and bubbly. Once this is attained, pour this creamy sauce right into the blended broccoli mixture. Cook and stir until soup is heated through. Season to taste with pepper.

Pictures:

YUM!
 Broccoli - I used a potato masher since I don't have a food processor but either one works!
 OMG - best loaf of Dutch Oven Bread I've ever made!
 The "Cream" in Cream of Broccoli :)
 Simmering deliciousness!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment