Sunday, November 20, 2011

Biscuits and Gravy

Ok, it's 5am in Germany and I am absolutely awake! I suppose that it might be due to the fact that I have hopped 9 hours ahead in time zones and the past 48 hours were consumed with 5 airports, 4 planes, 3 cars, 2 mental breakdowns and 1 hotel stay. You would think after all that fun I would just sleep for about 48 hours to catch back up but nope, I am awake and hungry lol!
Of course, all that travel - in addition to the past 8 weeks I have been away from my home - has made me want to just be in my jammies in the kitchen - so that's what's happening today. And the best way to start my morning off - as far as I can tell - is to whip up some biscuits and gravy to go along with this amazing cup of coffee. Now normally this is Zach's department 1) because I am lazy and 2) because he's just so darn good at the gravy - but today he's teaching me a thing or two. Also, because its 5am and I am just not fully stocked in the ingredient department after being gone so long we're totally cheating by using Pillsbury flaky grands biscuits,. Zach normally has me make the biscuits but that's a total production and this am I'm so not up for that.
Ok so here we go...

Ingredients:
3 chicken bouillon cubes - crushed
1 1/2 cup milk
3 tbs butter
3 tbs flour
4 oz sausage (I used reduced fat Jimmy Dean - but you can use whatever, or even omit it if you don't fancy it)
salt and pepper to taste
1 can of Pillsbury Grands Flaky Biscuits (or get fancy and make your own, today I am cheating lol)

Directions:
Preheat your oven for the biscuits.

While the oven is preheating, cook the sausage up. In a frying pan, cook the sausage until browned (about 5 minutes or so) and then set it aside on a few paper towels to drain the excess drippings. You wont need it until the very end, of if you decide not to use it just scroll down.

Once the oven is preheated, toss the biscuits in and start the gravy.

Gravy:
In a sauce pan melt the butter. Toss in the flour and mix until both are entirely melted and combined - it should look like creamy peanut butter lol. Continue to cook the mixture on medium heat for about 3 minutes. DO NOT rush this step! If you under cook this your gravy will just taste like flour - yucky! Ok, once the mixture is cooked, add the bouillon and milk. Wisk everything together until all the lumps are gone. Bring the gravy to a low boil, while continuing to wisk sporadically. (Keep the milk on hand in case your gravy becomes too thick for your liking and feel free to splash a bit more to loosen it up). **Remember that once the gravy cools it will thicken further. Once the gravy is a good consistency you can toss the sausage in and salt and pepper to taste!

Pictures:
 Nicely blended - still needs a few minutes to actually cook up.
 Gravy: pre-sausage
 Gravy: with yummy sausage!
YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment