Sunday, November 20, 2011

Celery & Onion Stuffing

With Thanksgiving just around the corner I am just giddy thinking about the feasting, although I must confess this is not my first Turkey day this year. In fact, this will be my THIRD! haha OOPS! Well, it wasn't really an accident. The first one took place a few weeks ago in North Carolina at my parent's house. Charli and I were visiting my family and since we knew that we would be apart for the "real" Thanksgiving we decided to have a Fakesgiving - turkey and trimmings and everything. It was amazing!!! I made this stuffing and it's one of my sister's favorite things to eat at Thanksgiving - which says a lot because my mom is an excellent cook so when Jojo decides she wants mine I am psyched lol love you Jojo :)
The second Thanksgiving feast was at my in-law's house in California just last week - see I told you I've been traveling! Zach and I made the stuffing there and it was a hit again. I swear it's just that good!
Anyhoo, Zach and I kind of made this recipe up years ago when we couldn't find the stuffing at the store that we liked and it's just been kind of a staple ever since. It is definitely time consuming so make sure to start it a few hours before you want to eat it - otherwise your feet will be killing you by the time it's ready to devour!

Ingredients:
4-6 stalks of celery - chopped or sliced (the thicker the slice the chunkier the stuffing will be so if you like the taste of the celery without the crunch, like me, then slice the celery very finely!)
1 large white onion - diced finely
4-6 cups of chicken broth
2 loaves of french bread
1 large loaf of sourdough bread
salt, pepper, garlic to taste
3 tbs butter, salted
Non-stick spray, PAM or whatever you prefer

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
While your oven is preheating, start by cutting the french and sourdough breads into 1/2" cubes. Place the cubes onto a cookie sheet and lightly spray with PAM, then generously sprinkle garlic salt and pepper on the bread cubes. Cook the cubes until they are lightly golden and crispy - about 7-10 minutes. Once they're golden toss them into a huge mixing bowl! Trust me bigger is better here because there's going to be a lot of them before you mix in the chicken broth.

In a large frying pan, melt the butter and toss in the onions and celery. Sprinkle with salt and pepper generously and then cook the onions and celery on medium heat until they are tender - about 10-15 minutes or so. Once they are cooked to your liking, sprinkle the mixture onto the breadcrumbs. Add 2 cups of the chicken broth to the breadcrumb and celery and onion mixture and begin to toss lightly. Once mixed, add another 2 cups of the chicken broth. Depending how wet you like your stuffing you can start to gauge how much more broth you'll need. I typically use the full 6 cups of broth but it's totally up to you. Once it's all mixed together, throw it in a large casserole dish and cover.

You can store it in the fridge until you're ready to heat it with the rest of your Thanksgiving feast, you can stuff your turkey with it if you'd like, or you can cheat and it it right then and there if it's warm enough for you!

I swear it's super easy and incredibly delicious - it's something I normally get seconds of and then eat as a snack the following 2 days lol...Enjoy!

Pictures:







No comments:

Post a Comment