Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Apple Crumb Cake

Alright, well tomorrow is Thanksgiving and we were invited to have dinner at Bill and Tina's house which is just lovely because I'll be damned if I was going to attempt to make a turkey in this miniature oven lol. Even if I was lucky enough to fit the turkey into the oven there would have been no room for anything additional so it just would have been a pathetic Thanksgiving. (Not that I can really complain since this will be my THIRD Thanksgiving this year haha). Anyway, so in addition to the Celery and Onion Stuffing that I posted a few days ago I am also baking a dessert. Now of course when you think Thanksgiving you think PIE but I wanted to do something different so I am baking an Apple Crumb Cake and OMG my entire house smells divine! 
I initially found this recipe when I was visiting my parents in North Carolina and it was a hit there so I'm doing it again :) It's actually Emeril's recipe but I have changed a few things around and omitted the glaze that he normally adds. (The link to the one he makes is as follows: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/apple-coffee-cake-with-crumble-topping-and-brown-sugar-glaze-recipe/index.html) But here's the way I did it...

Ingredients:

Cake:
1 stick of butter - salted
1 1/2 cups packed dark brown sugar
2 large eggs
2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup light sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 large apples - peeled, cored and diced into small cubes
Cooking Spray (Pam)

Crumble Topping:
1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
4 tablespoons butter, softened 

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 13 by 9-inch glass baking dish with the cooking spray. 

In a large bowl, cream together the remaining stick of butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs 1 at a time, beating after the addition of each. In a separate bowl mix together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Add to the wet ingredients, alternating with the sour cream and vanilla. Fold in the apples. Pour into the prepared baking dish, spreading out to the edges. 

To make the crumb topping, in a bowl, combine the sugar, flour, cinnamon, and butter, and mix until it resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle the topping over the cake and bake until golden brown and set, 35 to 40 minutes. (**My cake took about 65 minutes but I used a s deeper dish and perhaps the German altitude has something to do with it because I always have to bake things longer than recipes call for with this oven. So just make sure that the center is not wet before taking it out of the oven.) Remove from the oven and let cool on a wire rack for at least 10 minutes. 

Obviously, devour this when it’s warm with a cup of coffee/tea/cocoa/spiced cider/or milk!  It’s AMAZING!

Pictures:
 Everything mixed before adding the crumb topping...
 With the crumb topping.

No comments:

Post a Comment