Thursday, August 11, 2011

Stuffed Mushrooms

I am totally exhausted from the feast that occurred yesterday and so tonight I am totally cheating and just making little appetizers! I have been craving stuffed mushrooms for months now and I finally have all the ingredients in the house so GAME ON! I will also mention that I found this recipe a year ago when I had good old gestational diabetes and I fell in love with it. If something is diabetic friendly AND this delicious - you KNOW it's totally legit!

Recipe:


36 button mushrooms (or cremini, medium size)
1/2 cup fresh chopped onion
5 oz fresh baby spinach , thinly sliced
3 oz cream cheese , room temperature
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg (optional)
1 pinch salt and pepper , to taste

Directions

Preheat oven to 425°F.

Remove the stems from the mushrooms and chop the stems finely.

In a small skillet lightly greased, sauté mushroom stems and onion until softened, about 5 minutes (or longer if you don't like your onions to have any crunch like me.)

Add the spinach and stir until wilted, about 1 to 2 minutes. Let it cool and then mix in cream cheese (and nutmeg.)  Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Place the mushroom caps in baking pan and fill them with the cheese mixture. Bake them uncovered until they’re hot through, approximately 8 to 12 minutes.

When the mushrooms are done they will be oh so tender and quite juicy inside so be ready to pop the whole thing in your mouth or if it's a two-biter have a napkin ready! Enjoy!

Pictures: 






1 comment: