Saturday, August 13, 2011

Blueberry Zucchini Bread

So I saw this recipe last week and had to re-read the title - why in the world would anyone mix blueberries with zucchini for any reason? But as I tucked the recipe away in my 'junk' folder it kept taunting me throughout the week. I can't really explain it, but it just seemed like I should at least TRY it before writing it off as totally ridiculous. I mean after all, I love blueberries and I love zucchini and well I love bread so somebody somewhere might be on to something.

I will tell you this, from the moment I started to mix the batter together I could see how this recipe could be legit. And then when I pulled it out of the oven I nearly fainted at the sight and smell of it all - my entire house smells of sweet blueberries - Glade doesn't have a thing on me! I promise you this recipe is so delightful - and again has fruit and vegetables in it so it can't be too terrible for you, right :)

Recipe:


3 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup vegetable oil
3 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups white sugar
2 cups shredded zucchini (about 1 ½ zucchini, peeled and grated – I used a large holed cheese grater)
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 pint of fresh blueberries (or a bag of frozen blueberries if you can’t buy fresh)

Directions:

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease 4 mini-loaf pans – or two large regular sized loaf pans.

In a large bowl, beat together the eggs, oil, vanilla, and sugar. Fold in the zucchini. Beat in the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon. Gently fold in the blueberries. Transfer to the prepared loaf pans. Bake for 50 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a knife inserted in the center of a loaf comes out clean. Cool 20 minutes in pans, then turn out onto wire racks to cool completely.

Pictures:
Shredded Zucchini


It looked so cute, I had to take it's picture :)

Golden perfection!!!

YUMMY!
Honestly, this was a great recipe! I was so pleasantly surprised - it was super moist, the blueberries were the perfect compliment to the sweet bread and I couldn't help but plate up 2 slices! Also, I was wishing I had a huge spoonful of cool whip on top...next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment