Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Egg Fried Rice with Veggies

I have been contemplating this recipe for ages it seems. Once upon a time, long, long ago I attempted this and it was a MAJOR FAIL - in my defense I tend to get over-analytical about stuff and I think I just got so nervous about messing it up that it became my destiny to fail that time. Tonight was different though, I just went off the top of my head! To be honest the only thing I know about egg fried rice is that it is the absolute  best part about Chinese take out or Hibachi! It has onions and garlic, tons of salty soy sauce (yum), peas and corn. (Ok, most places have to put that dreadful carrot in there but hello, totally NOT happening in my recipe - but feel free to add it to yours if you one of those carrot lovers.) Basically from here I totally just made it up, but it was incredible, despite not owning a wok lol.

Recipe:


2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 small onion - diced
4 cloves of garlic - minced
4 eggs
1 1/2 cups of peas
1 1/2 cups of corn
4 cups cooked white rice
4 tablespoons soy sauce
garlic salt, sea salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

In a wok (preferably) or a large frying pan, heat the oil over medium high heat. Saute the onions until translucent. Add the garlic and cook for about 3 minutes (the garlic will be lightly browned). Add the eggs and scramble the ingredients until the eggs look to be fully cooked (not runny anymore) and season with salt and pepper. Throw the peas and corn (and carrot if you must) into the mix and stir. I used frozen veggies so I let them heat up for about 5 minutes and then added the rice. Reduce the heat to medium low and cover - stirring occasionally so that the rice doesn't burn. Add additional soy sauce or seasoning if you'd like, personally I can't get enough garlic salt so I threw in an extra dash at the end. Serve piping hot!!! (I also cooked some teriyaki chicken on the side for a little meat but the dish is fabulous without it too!)

Pictures:




No comments:

Post a Comment