Friday, August 19, 2011

Farfalle Carbonara


A few years ago Zach and I traveled to Greece for a dream vacation! It had been somewhere we had wanted to go before we settled down and had kids - and had come highly recommended by a gal pal of mine. During our two weeks there I swear I ate so much food it was amazing. By far my favorite dish was the spaghetti carbonara -  surprising since it's not exactly Greek lol but it was phenomenal. Ever since I've wanted to make this recipe at home but excuse after excuse got in my way and I just never got around to it - until tonight!!! And let me just tell you it was freaking AMAZING! I actually doubled the recipe (the regular recipe yields a serving of 8, fyi) and took it to the Landstuhl Fisher House to donate it to the families staying there this evening. It was my good deed for the week and I sure hope that they liked it - it was everything I could do not to keep a serving or two selfishly for Zach and myself haha. Ok enough hype about this amazing dish...here it is!

Recipe:


1 pound of farfalle (or whatever noodle you fancy)
1 tablespoon olive oil
8 slices bacon, diced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1/4 cup dry white wine (I didn’t use it but you totally can)
4 eggs
3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 pinch salt and black pepper to taste
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (optional)
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

Directions:

In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the pasta until al dente. Drain well. Toss with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, and set aside.

Meanwhile in a large skillet, cook chopped bacon until slightly crisp; remove and drain onto paper towels. (Once the bacon cools, chop it up into quarter inch chunks). Reserve 2 tablespoons of bacon fat and add the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, and heat in reused large skillet. Add the chopped onion and cook over medium heat until the onion is translucent. Add in the minced garlic, and cook 3 minutes more. (Add wine if you’d like and cook one more minute.)

Return the cooked bacon to pan with the garlic and onions; add the cooked and drained pasta. Toss to coat and heat through, adding more olive oil if it seems dry or is sticking together. Add in thebeaten eggs and cook, tossing constantly with tongs or large fork until eggs are barely set. Quickly add 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese, and toss again. Add salt and pepper to taste (remember that bacon and Parmesan are very salty).

Serve immediately with chopped parsley sprinkled on top, and extra Parmesan cheese at table.

It is so phenomenal! I promise!

Pictures:

Onions, Garlic, and Bacon...I swear I could have just eaten this w/o the pasta!

Voila! As you can see my pot is wayyy to small for this - gotta love German cooking spaces!

Ready for delivery to the LMRC Fisher House!

No comments:

Post a Comment