Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Tomato Basil Parmesan Soup

Again, the name alone sold me on this recipe and once again we can all thank Pinterest, surprising I know! So at first I will say that I debated posting this recipe because it is made in a crock pot - to me that's cheating because I didn't technically cook anything so to speak, my lovely crock pot did all the work. However, it was so flavorful that to hell with the actual 'cooking' aspect of things - this is a dish to be made and enjoyed. My only deviation from the original recipe was cooked pasta. For me the soup was really thin, ok I know soup is meant to be thin and brothy by it's very nature but I guess I just prefer a hearty soup or stew then. The flavors were outrageously good but I felt a little let down at the end of my bowl. However, being that I am the epitome of a carboholic my quick fix was pasta! So the next day I boiled some shell pasta, but you can use whatever you have in the house, and tossed it into the soup and reheated - I am not sure if it was the extra day for the flavors to combine and meld together but the soup with the pasta in it the very next day was out of this world!

Ok are you intrigued enough yet...here's this gal's recipe...

Ingredients:
2 (14 oz) cans diced tomatoes, with juice
1 cup finely diced celery
1 cup finely diced carrots (optional – you all KNOW I didn’t use these)
1 cup finely diced onions
1 tsp dried oregano
1/4 cup fresh basil
4 cups chicken broth
½ bay leaf
½ cup flour
1 cup Parmesan cheese
½ cup butter
2 cups half and half, warmed (I used 1 cup light half and half and 1 cup of lowfat milk – it tasted amazing all the same)
1 tsp salt
¼ tsp black pepper

Directions:
Add tomatoes, celery, carrots, chicken broth, onions, oregano, basil, and bay leaf to a large slow cooker.

Cover and cook on LOW for 5-7 hours, until flavors are blended and vegetables are soft.

About 30 minutes before serving prepare a roux. Melt butter over low heat in a skillet and add flour. Stir constantly with a whisk for 5-7 minutes. Slowly stir in 1 cup hot soup. Keep whisking…Add another 3 cups and stir until smooth. Add all back into the slow cooker. Stir and add the Parmesan cheese, warmed half and half, salt and pepper.  Add additional basil and oregano if needed (the slow cooker does a number on spices and they get bland over time, so don't be afraid to always season to taste at the end).

Cover and cook on LOW for another 30 minutes or so until ready to serve.

*Like I said I added pasta to mine so if you wanted a heartier soup just boil some pasta of your choice during that last 30 minutes when everything is simmering on low and toss into the crockpot right before serving!

Pictures:

No comments:

Post a Comment