Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Country Fried Chicken

Well it's no secret that I've been cooking all kinds of warm dishes lately with the snow right around the corner and one of Zach's favorites is country fried steak and eggs. Well I am not normally in the mood for eggs and I uh, didn't have any steak, BUT it did inspire me to get creative with what I did have - which was chicken and veggies....So I decided on Country Fried Chicken with some chicken flavored gravy and some roasted vegetables and just went for it...honestly, it was freaking delightful, I practically inhaled every last bite. Oh who am I kidding...I DID inhale every last bite - it's worth making I swear!!! Let's go...

Ingredients:
Chicken:
4 tbsp olive oil
2 chicken breasts - tenderized quite thin
1 egg
1/4 cup of flour
1/4 cup of breadcrumbs

Gravy:
2 tbsp margarine
2 tbsp flour
1.5 cups of low fat milk
2 chicken bouillon cubes - crushed (or powdered)
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
In a frying pan heat the oil over medium high heat. While the pan is heating up, dredge the chicken in flour, then egg, then breadcrumbs. Once the oil is piping hot, add the chicken breasts and cook on each side for about 3-4 minutes per side (or until golden brown). Set aside and whip up that gravy!

For the gravy, melt the butter and flour, blending the mixture until it turns a golden brown and has no lumps at all - about 5 minutes or so. Once the mixture is golden, whisk in the milk and continue to whisk until the mixture is fully blended. Bring the mixture to a low boil and add the chicken bouillon cubes (crushed - don't plop a full cube in here you'll never be able to break it all up!) Stir frequently and add salt and pepper to taste. Once the gravy is to the consistency that you like pour it generously over the breaded chicken breasts and devour!

Like I said above, my efforts to be somewhat healthy were to roast vegetables on the side but you can totally do whatever sounds good to you. If I were being completely honest, mashed potatoes sounded ideal but that's not so carb-friendly so I opted for something different but if you're not counting calories - DO IT!
Pictures:
Lesson #1, don't let your husband fool around with your camera 
because he will turn the flash off and not tell you!
It was incredibly delicious though, despite the 'grayness' of it - boo for no flash Zachary!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment